Disney/Lucasfilm Settle Lawsuit With Fired THE MANDALORIAN Star Gina Carano - Will Cara Dune Return?

Disney/Lucasfilm Settle Lawsuit With Fired THE MANDALORIAN Star Gina Carano - Will Cara Dune Return?

Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that they have settled a lawsuit from Gina Carano, who accused the studios of discrimination and wrongful termination over her firing from The Mandalorian...

By MarkCassidy - Aug 08, 2025 09:08 AM EST
Filed Under: Star Wars

Disney and Lucasfilm have settled a lawsuit from former The Mandalorian star Gina Carano, who had accused the studios of discrimination and wrongful termination after being fired from the Disney+ Star Wars series back in 2021.

Carano, who played Din Djarin's (Pedro Pascal) loyal ally Cara Dune in the first two seasons of the show, was let go by Lucasfilm for what were deemed to be a series of "abhorrent" social media posts.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future," said Lucasfilm's statement at the time. "Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

The former MMA fighter's posts had been the source of controversy for quite some time before the studio took action, but inferring that being a Republican today is comparable to being Jewish during the Holocaust appeared to be the final straw for Disney.

Somewhat ironically after the reaction to Carano's more incendiary posts, she believes it was actually her decision to add the words “Boop/bop/beep” to her social media profiles after being asked to support trans rights by listing her pronouns that landed her in the most hot water and ultimately got her fired.

Does this mean we could see Cara Dune back in the Galaxy Far, Far Away at some point?

“With this lawsuit concluded, we look forward to identifying opportunities to work together with Ms. Carano in the near future,” Lucasfilm said in a statement. “We have reached an agreement with Gina Carano to resolve the issues in her pending lawsuit against the companies. Ms. Carano was always well respected by her directors, co-stars, and staff, and she worked hard to perfect her craft while treating her colleagues with kindness and respect.”

The details of the settlement were not disclosed, but it certainly sounds like the door might be open for Carano to reprise the role should she decide to do so.

Caran shared the following to X in response to the news.

"I have come to an agreement with Disney/Lucasfilm which I believe is the best outcome for all parties involved. I hope this brings some healing to the force. I want to extend my deepest most heartfelt gratitude to Elon Musk, a man I’ve never met, who did this Good Samaritan deed for me in funding my lawsuit. Thank you Mr. Musk and X for backing my case and asking for nothing in return. 

I am humbled and grateful to God for His love and grace in this outcome. I’d like to thank you all for your unrelenting support throughout my life and career, you’ve been the heartbeat that has kept my story alive. I hope to make you proud. I am excited to flip the page and move onto the next chapter. My desires remain in the arts, which is where I hope you will join me. Yes, I’m smiling."

STAR WARS: STARFIGHTER First Look Revealed As Amy Adams, Matt Smith, And More Join The Movie's Cast
Related:

STAR WARS: STARFIGHTER First Look Revealed As Amy Adams, Matt Smith, And More Join The Movie's Cast

Alan Tudyk On Original Plans For K-2SO In ANDOR And What Really Happened With ROGUE ONE's Reshoots
Recommended For You:

Alan Tudyk On Original Plans For K-2SO In ANDOR And What Really Happened With ROGUE ONE's Reshoots

DISCLAIMER: As a user generated site and platform, SFFGazette.com is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) and "Safe Harbor" provisions.

This post was submitted by a user who has agreed to our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines. SFFGazette.com will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. Please CONTACT US for expeditious removal of copyrighted/trademarked content. CLICK HERE to learn more about our copyright and trademark policies.

Note that SFFGazette.com, and/or the user who contributed this post, may earn commissions or revenue through clicks or purchases made through any third-party links contained within the content above.

spr0cks
spr0cks - 8/8/2025, 2:12 PM
RE : "Carano, who played Din Djarin's (Pedro Pascal) loyal ally Cara Dune in the first two seasons of the show, was let go by Lucasfilm for what were deemed to be a series of "abhorrent" social media posts.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,""

You can't say she was "let go" by Lucasfilm and then immediately follow that up with a statement directly from Lucasfilm pointing out that she isn't, or wasn't (at that time) employed by them.

Either learn what words mean and how to use them or don't use them at all.

She wasn't "fired" (...or "let go",....as the case may be), which you've repeatedly claimed all over this story.

Her contract ended and Disney opted not to renew it for Season 3 of The Mandalorian
(where it wouldn't have made sense to have her character anyway given where the story went).

Further to this point, she, or rather her character wasn't a 'main' character on Mandalorian.
Her character was a 'recurrring' or 'guest' role.

The signficance of this is that actors whose characters are listed as 'Main' characters in multi-season TV shows usually sign multi-season contracts.
Recurring character actors are typically limited to single-season contracts with options for extra seasons that the studio can opt to pick up if the storyline calls for it or not pick up at all.

In this case, Disney/Lucasfilm opted not to pick up the option for an additional season for her character - most likely because in the story for Season 3, it wouldn't have made sense to have her character in it other than as a possible (quick) guest role.

The real problem for Gina Carano was in the fact that in addition to not renewing her for a Season 3 spot, they also dropped plans on developing a spin-off show based on her character.
That's what she was peeved about.

But as no contracts had been signed for that as the show was still in pre-development, they were not obligated to hire her or produce it (or pay her off if they cancelled), and thus they just decided to walk away from it - costing her a prime gig as the lead in her own show.
But that was entirely her own fault.

One last fact in all this is that even if we indulge the rhetorical gymnastics and claim that the situation still amounts to her getting "fired", it still wouldn't matter because California (where Disney and Lucaslfilm are based)is an 'at-will' employment state.
Which means your employer can fire you without cause and not have to justify it, as long as they don't violate the constitution by doing so (i.e. fire you for a reason predicated on your status as a member of a protected class or a minority, like being fired for being black, Latino, disabled or a woman. Hence the reason Carano's lawsuit try to play the whole "it was because I was a woman" card, because, otherwise the case had no standing in court whatsoever. Of course, even the "woman" angle is nonsense on its face, obviously).

Disney settled this to make a spot of bad press (and bad headlines) and legal headache go away.
Especially with the Mando movie not that far from completing production and having to ramp up its marketing when they do.
IT had nothing to do with whether she was right or they mistreated her.
Assassing
Assassing - 8/9/2025, 11:33 AM
She wasn't fired. Disney just didn't want to continue employing someone who couldn't act.

Please log in to post comments.

Don't have an account?
Please Register.

View Recorder